Friday 11 September 2009

Audit finished, and cinema reward

I finally finished the first draft of my audit today - getting the abstract done in time for the National Medical Students' Conference was a bit of a rush job, but I got it done and sent in - I'm hoping they'll be looking for content, rather than how the abstract itself was written, as mine was a bit lastminute.com (like, wrote it in 15 minutes, and I keep noticing glaring omissions!) I also sent the full draft to the people in the Palliative Care Office who helped me get the audit up and running, so they can have a look through it and see what changes need making.

As a reward, Mum and Dad took me off to the cinema to see Dorian Gray, which came out on Wednesday. I've been a fan of the book, and of Oscar Wilde in general, for years and even named my pet rat Dorian, so the film had the potential to be a great disappointment... there's nothing worse than a film making a hash of a well-loved book. Thankfully, for the book and for my evening, it was a wonderful film, although it did move away from the original text in places. I was concerned that it might be as bad as the dance interpretation of the novel I saw at the theatre in Norwich, which took everything that was just gently hinted at in the novel, and made it explicit and graphic.

I'm also really impressed with the cinema. I didn't phone ahead (obviously) and there was no information about the hearing loop, and we arrived about ten minutes before the film was due to start, so I didn't have the chance to ask anyone about telecoil - I just assumed that I'd have to muddle through based on my encyclopaedic knowledge of the text. To my amazement, not only was the loop on, but it was working really clearly too! I think I might write to them to congratulate them - I spend far too much time complaining about (and to) places that aren't fully deaf-friendly that I think they deserve a pat on the back when they do it well. Unfortunately, my organisational skills weren't as good as theirs, and about halfway through my hearing aid in my good ear went flat. I'd taken spare batteries - I take them everywhere - but I didn't fancy fiddling about trying to change them in the dark - I killed my last aid by dropping it on the floor, and I didn't fancy repeating the experience, so I was a bit lost for the latter part of the film. Still, it didn't ruin my enjoyment, so I've chalked it down to experience and decided that in future, I'm probably best to change batteries before going to cinemas or theatres!

No comments:

Post a Comment